“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Scripture: Hebrew 11:1, King James Version) When life gets tough, it’s easy to feel shaken in your faith. Fortunately, there are many scriptures that will help ease your mind. Here are five faith strengthening scriptures to help you overcome.
1. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 (New International Version)
First, John 14:27 encourages readers to exchange fear for peace. If you are in the midst of trials and tribulations and are worried about the outcome, have faith in the promise of peace that surpasses all earthly understanding.
2. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3: 5-6 (NIV)
Second, trust is a cornerstone of faith. If you trust God fully, there’s no reason to devote thought to your troubles. If the solution to your dilemma seems unclear, Proverbs 3:5-6 says to exercise faith in the Lord and allow him to lead you in the right direction. Heed this directive to remove your burden and put it in God’s hands.
3. “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:29-31 (NIV)
Third, in Isaiah 40: 29-31, a simile is made comparing the strength of believers to the freedom of eagles. The writer implies that even those who are exhausted will be granted the endurance they need to soldier on. This verse provides words of comfort to anyone who has felt fatigued and been tempted to give up.
4. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4 (NIV)
Next, James 1:2-4 charges readers to choose joy over resentment. These verses also encourage believers to view stressful situations as opportunities for character development instead of cruel punishments. Perseverance is built through adversity, which then qualifies us to better handle struggles yet to come. Have faith that the Lord is preparing you for greater challenges because they accompany even greater successes.
5. “He replied, ‘Because you have so little faith. Truly, I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20-21 (NIV)
Finally, this book of Matthew verse is commonly quoted because of the strong illustration of faith that it paints. Mustard seeds are minuscule in size, but the text says that even a similarly sized show of faith is enough to conquer the unimaginable. It’s empowering to possess the ability to exert the absolute minimum amount of faith, yet still overcome such grandiose tasks.
Faith knows no bounds. It is the antithesis of fear, stress and weakness. It is what equips us to triumph over the lowest points of life and celebrate the highest. If you find yourself looking for faith inspiration in your time of need, remember these five scriptures and stand strong.